Opening for the 2017 Season on Saturday April 1.
Museum Hours: Tuesday - Sunday, 1:00pm to 4:00pm
Come see our new lantern room.
Admission $5 age 14 and over, $2 under age 14, and preschool free. Take a trip up the stairs to visit the new lantern tower!
The Michigan City Historical Society hopes that you will visit with us at the Old Lighthouse Museum, the oldest remaining lighthouse in Indiana.
The collection is available for researchers and Michigan City Historical Society members by request.
The museum is open for public tours from April through October, every day except Monday, from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM Central Time. Self-guided and audio tours as well as docent-led tours are available. The last tour each day begins at 3:30 PM Central Time. Call the museum at (219) 872-6133 to check on special hours, closings for Holidays, or to book tours. Strollers are not allowed in the museum.
We are also open each month as part of the Michigan City Uptown Arts District First Friday events. On those evenings we are open from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM, free of charge.
* Tour the historic 1858 Michigan City Lighthouse and climb the tower into the lantern room.
* Learn about the three Michigan City Lighthouses.
* See an exhibit about Miss Harriet Colfax, Michigan City Lighthouse Keeper from 1861 until 1904. She was a cousin of Schuyler Colfax, U.S. Grant's Vice President.
* See a collection of beautiful ship models that we now have
* See exhibits about Lake Michigan shipwrecks, including a collection of picture postcards commemorating the Eastland Disaster, the tragic sinking of a steamship bound for Michigan City's Washington Park from Chicago in 1915.
* Learn about Abraham Lincoln's funeral train and its stop in Michigan City.
* Learn about local maritime history and the ships that have sailed in and out of our harbor.
* Learn a bit about the history of Michigan City, Indiana.
* Visit our gift shop and browse our fine selection of books, postcards, clothing, souvenirs, and Harbour Lights and Spoontiques lighthouse figurines.
While you search the internet you can support us using GoodSearch. If you choose the Michigan City Historical Society Old Lighthouse Museum as your charity we get a penny for every search you do.
While you save money with special coupons for outerwear deals at Lands' End, business card promos from Vistaprint, and discounts on tax services from TurboTax, a portion of what you spend will be donated back to us at no cost to you. It doesn’t get much better than that! Click to sign up and select our cause to start searching, shopping, donating, and saving money today!
Support us when you shop at Fagen Pharmacy.
Support us by joining the Fagen Pharmacy Give Back Program. Each time you shop at any of the Fagen Pharmacy stores a portion of your sale will be given to the Michigan City Historical Society Old Lighthouse Museum.
Support us when you shop with Amazon.
We will receive 0.5% of your purchase when you chose the Michigan City Historical Society Incorporated Old Lighthouse Museum as your charity at smile.amazon.com.
The Old Lighthouse Museum
Updated April 14, 2017