Now celebrating our 40th year of operation!
Annual Meeting of the Michigan City Historical Society
Saturday November 2, 2013
Michigan CIty Public Library Meeting Room
"Dad" Heisman's Hat (In the Old Lighthouse Museum Collection)
"The Heisman Family Legacy at the Lakefront"
Mr. Arnold Bass
President of the LaPorte County Historical Society and Author
Up Close and Personal: A History of LaPorte Country
The Michigan City Historical Society hopes that you will visit with us at the Old Lighthouse Museum, the oldest remaining lighthouse in Indiana.
The collection is available for researchers and Michigan City Historical Society members by request.
The museum is open for public tours from April through October, every day except Monday, from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM Central Time. Self-guided and audio tours as well as docent-led tours are available. The last tour each day begins at 3:30 PM Central Time. Call the museum at (219) 872-6133 to check on special hours, closings, or to book tours. Strollers are not allowed in the museum.
* Tour the historic 1858 Michigan City Lighthouse and climb the tower into the lantern room.
* Learn about the three Michigan City Lighthouses.
* See an exhibit about Miss Harriet Colfax, Michigan City Lighthouse Keeper from 1861 until 1904. She was a cousin of Schuyler Colfax, U.S. Grant's Vice President.
* See a collection of beautiful ship models that we now have
* See exhibits about Lake Michigan shipwrecks, including a collection of picture postcards commemorating the Eastland Disaster, the tragic sinking of a steamship bound for Michigan City's Washington Park from Chicago in 1915.
* Learn about Abraham Lincoln's funeral train and its stop in Michigan City.
* Learn about local maritime history and the ships that have sailed in and out of our harbor.
* Learn a bit about the history of Michigan City, Indiana.
* Visit our gift shop and browse our fine selection of books, postcards, clothing, souvenirs, and Harbour Lights and Spoontiques lighthouse figurines.
The Old Lighthouse Museum
Updated May 9,, 2013