Now celebrating our 41st year of operation!
December 6, 2014: The Old Lighthouse Museum has announced additional holiday season open hours. We will be open on the following days:
Friday December 12, 1:00pm to 4:00pm
Saturday December 13, 1:00pm to 4:00pm
Sunday December 15, 1:00pm to 4:00pm
Friday December 19, 1:00pm to 4:00pm
Saturday December 20, 1:00pm to 4:00pm
Sunday December 21, 1:00pm to 4:00pm
Admission $5 age 14 and over, $2 under age 14, and preschool free. Take a trip up the stairs to visit the new lantern tower!
Throughout 2014 we have a featured exhibit on the Michigan City Fire Department. Included is a variety of historic and contemporary gear used by our fire fighters.
The Michigan City Historical Society hopes that you will visit with us at the Old Lighthouse Museum, the oldest remaining lighthouse in Indiana.
The collection is available for researchers and Michigan City Historical Society members by request.
The museum is open for public tours from April through October, every day except Monday, from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM Central Time. Self-guided and audio tours as well as docent-led tours are available. The last tour each day begins at 3:30 PM Central Time. Call the museum at (219) 872-6133 to check on special hours, closings, or to book tours. Strollers are not allowed in the museum.
We are also open each month as part of the Michigan City Uptown Arts District First Friday events. On those evenings we are open from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM, free of charge.
* Tour the historic 1858 Michigan City Lighthouse and climb the tower into the lantern room.
* Learn about the three Michigan City Lighthouses.
* See an exhibit about Miss Harriet Colfax, Michigan City Lighthouse Keeper from 1861 until 1904. She was a cousin of Schuyler Colfax, U.S. Grant's Vice President.
* See a collection of beautiful ship models that we now have
* See exhibits about Lake Michigan shipwrecks, including a collection of picture postcards commemorating the Eastland Disaster, the tragic sinking of a steamship bound for Michigan City's Washington Park from Chicago in 1915.
* Learn about Abraham Lincoln's funeral train and its stop in Michigan City.
* Learn about local maritime history and the ships that have sailed in and out of our harbor.
* Learn a bit about the history of Michigan City, Indiana.
* Visit our gift shop and browse our fine selection of books, postcards, clothing, souvenirs, and Harbour Lights and Spoontiques lighthouse figurines.
The Old Lighthouse Museum
Updated May 18, 2014